School aged children, preteens and teenagers often participate in individual therapy to better manage feelings of anxiety, depression, stress, school related concerns or difficulties with family or friends. They will also discover the skills they need to cope with problems now and in the future. Parents are involved throughout the therapy process with regular check-ins and the invitation to join sessions as needed. Children and teens don’t often ask to go to counseling. That’s ok! We usually look for signs in their behavior that something is going on. If there has been a major change, stress, loss or trauma in their lives therapy can help.
Also look for:
- Major changes in emotions or behavior
- Becoming withdrawn or avoidant
- Defiance, aggression, irritability
- Restlessness, loss of focus
- Disruption of sleep, eating, toileting
- Negative talk about self or future
- Not doing well in school or activities
You know your child best! If you have concerns, contact me today.